How to apply for a tax deferment

    When it comes to filing and paying your 2022 federal and state taxes, there’s good news and bad news. The good news is that you have until Tuesday, April 18 to apply — April 15 is a Saturday, while the following Monday is Emancipation Day, which is a public holiday in Washington, DC.

    The bad news is: you still have to file a declaration.

    If you can’t file your taxes by then—because of a family emergency, a big work project, or simply procrastination—what do you do? Well, one thing you don’t do is panic. You can apply for an extension and it won’t take long.

    If you are a private individual (and let’s assume you are), you can easily apply for an extension online at completing form 4868 the habits The IRS’s free file program. (Filing for a renewal is free, regardless of your income level.) Some things to keep in mind:

    Update January 24, 2023, 4:12 PM ET: This article was originally published on July 14, 2020, and has been updated to change dates and other information for tax year 2022.

    Recent Articles

    Related Stories

    Leave A Reply

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    Stay on op - Ge the daily news in your inbox